Monday, June 30, 2014

June continued -Design, Wikis, and more philosophy

Blog #4, June 30, 2014
June is almost over and in this last week or so we have explored more on learning theory and course design and development.
Chapter 5 in our book had me reading about instructional design systems models such as ADDIE (Analysis, Development, Implement and Evaluate) and ISD (Instructional Systems Design). So many acronyms in DE!  Planning is emphasized in ISD and I see why it is a monumental job for teachers to plan all their teaching strategies. I found the different stages in instructional design easy to follow (for a change!) and understand that all of the components of the students required performance are part of this stage. I drifted back to Gagne and Bloom and their objectives. The importance of the right development team came to mind and I think the course team model is much more effective than the author-editor model, especially in distance education. I realize the costs involved, and the time to prepare can be very expensive and lengthy. The information on creating lessons gave me good insight into how the work breaks down into segments. This will help me on my next paper, as well as the piece on multimedia tools. Designing student participation is more involved than I anticipated, but I was happy for the information and tips this week from this chapter. Training teachers in using instructional design models remains extremely important.
We also got into our team assignment or Wiki exercise. Everyone in my group is great and so far it is a good experience. We have a lot done already, so I am feeling pretty good about my first wiki exercise. Another tool we are learning, so helpful.
We participated in discussions on learning theory, instructional design and online teaching philosophies, based on the articles by Sangra and Kanuka I talked about how I personally agree that designers and faculty need to fully comprehend the impact of using the various modes of delivery when class designs are utilizing the most up to date technologies. We need to be able to adapt strategies to facilitating, learning, or being a facilitator. I have my views on e-technology philosophy. I like the combination of uses determinism and social determinism. Using technology as a “tool” to learn, not using technology to control learning. That is something that stuck with me from Kanuka’s chapter where she talked about an analogy by Jonassen. The analogy is a carpenter uses his tools to build, the tools do not control the carpenter.
  

Kanuka, H. (2008). "Understanding eLearning Technologies in Practice through Philosophies-in-Practice" from The Theory and Practice of Online Learning (online book). pp. 91-118

4 comments:

  1. I was talking with some people at work today about ISD and ADDIE and one of them complained about all the acronyms, so your comment made me LOL. :)
    Designing/developing/delivering DE really is costly so it's worth the planning to ensure the quality stands up to the test of time. Only by using materials repeatedly and teaching multiple classes can we reach enough students to bring the costs per student down.
    Like you, I'm really enjoying this topic. Am getting a lot out of the class. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I understand the cost of the desgn and implementation more now that we are moving through this class. Let's hope the costs start to decline as DE continues to grow. thanks for making me laugh on the acronyms!
      Terrie

      Delete
  2. I think you bring up an excellent point here by being specific and mentioning the course team as the "right development team." There must be good chemistry in the team in order to work effectively. I think we have all struggled and succeed in group projects when there are times when we have to push our teammates to complete a task. I have not experienced the team approach in DE as I was the author and editor of my courses but I would love to work with others.

    I think that teams of instructors and experts is a great idea because it can help instructors learn how to work in teams. It is interesting to note that instructors encourage students to work in teams but instructors themselves have a lot of problems working with others. I remember when I started teaching and some instructors were hesitant when another instructor recommended activities to facilitate learning. As a first year teacher I remember incorporating activities that took me out of my comfort zone in order to learn about what worked in my classroom. The team approach, presented in the course readings to design a course, can be an aspect that should be incorporated in traditional instruction. Instead of providing an instructor with a syllabus and a book, teams can help develop innovative activities and avoid having to reinvent the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the responses. CPO- I am not a teacher (yet!!) but I think it is great that you were brave enough to step out of your comfort zone, very wise. It is great to be open and learn and incorporate other activities that you saw working elsewhere.
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete