Saturday, July 5, 2014

July

Rubrics and other readings was the focus of the last week or so, and I really enjoyed the information we learned on the various types of rubrics. It really helped me in my assignment on my class I was creating for my paper. I had to create an online learning class outline and do a rubric, and since I have never done a rubric, the readings were invaluable material for me.

Since I have no teaching experience, I think the QM rubric would be more useful for me as a guide since it is more directed to each of the components necessary to deliver a good class and give your students constructive feedback. As I have learned feedback is really one of the most important factors in providing a better learning environment. The QM rubric is much more inclusive and is more critical and detailed for assessing the students. The QM rubric is based on the concept of alignment and is focused on assessing the students comprehension and knowledge.

I went to the Chico State website and reviewed the ROI rubric which seems to be based on the actual University's expectations for the Instructors, not the students. The ROI rubrics shown on the Chico State website had 3 levels for results achieved in each category: Baseline, effective and exemplary. For online teachers, this would be more of a self evaluation tool. It also is useful to assist Instructors redesign or create new designs for courses. Another use if for teachers that are attempting to garner public recognition. 
The rubrics readings I completed and got the most understanding from were: 
Mertler, Craig A. (2001). Designing scoring rubrics for your classroom. Practical Assessment,
Research & Evaluation, 7(25). Available online: http://www.pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=7&n=25

Peirce, W., (2006) Designing Rubrics for Assessing Higher Order thinking http://academic.pgcc.edu/~wpeirce/MCCCTR/Designingrubricsassessingthinking.html

Rubric for Online Instruction, CSU, Chico, (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment